
As my bus emerged from the Holland Tunnel, Thanksgiving morning, I saw this. Honestly, I do know it's a myth. I don't really get the point, though. Is this sign really going to change the minds of the believers? Seriously?
My best guy friend, Jerry, says that religion is the ultimate expression of emotion, and atheism is the ultimate expression of logic. I often wonder if I don't believe because of how my mind works or because the religious machine didn't get me early enough. I hadn't had a lick of religious instruction until a few months into 2nd grade, when my parents took me out of Public School 5 and put me into St.Bartholomews Catholic School. From the moment I colored my first picture of baby Jesus and Mary, I felt it was a bunch of nonsense. Of course, by the age of 3 I had already determined that Santa wasn't real as I whipped off his beard at my father's lodge's Christmas party... in front of all of the other children. So, I already had established a history as a "doubting Thomas."
My mother gave me some story about THAT Santa being one of the "real" Santa's helpers, but I didn't buy it. So I stayed awake Christmas night and listened to my father and mother arguing as they put up the Christmas tree and assembled toys as my father grunted and cursed, and my mother yelled at him for doing it all wrong. It was our tradition that Santa put up the Christmas tree. It was a nice touch. The pressure was always too much for my parents, though, and they would end up whisper fighting until the wee hours of Christmas morning. I didn't pretend to believe in Santa, but I didn't say I didn't either. It was kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. It was important for my parents to think I believed, but it was equally important for me to realize I'd figured it out. The funny thing is that they tell you that it's some sort of end of innocence to find out there is no Santa. Frankly, I felt better knowing the truth. Lucky for my parents, my sister believed until she was around 10, and she pretended a lot longer so her Santa presents wouldn't diminish.
I never had a flicker of faith. As Confirmation approached I went to my parish monsignor and told him that I did not want to go through with it, as I didn't believe. Even though they tell you that you don't have to do it unless you are ready, I was told by Monsignor McManus, and my parents, to just shut up and do it. I didn't answer yes to any of the questions they asked. So, in my heart I never committed. I just stopped going to church. After all, I was an adult in the eyes of the church, and the first decision I made was to stop going through the motions.
I could not be strong armed into believing. I could not be convinced to believe. I know that Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah or whatever you want to call it is a creation by Dark Age man looking for explanations to the mysteries of life before science existed. I know what I know. Until proven otherwise, scientifically, no one can put faith, magically, into my soul.
On the other hand, no one can take some one's faith away. People who believe can't be convinced that there is no God. Some people believe because of tradition, other believe because they don't want to think about what might happen if they disbelieve and are wrong, and others just need to believe because it makes them feel less alone out in the big, scary Universe. Whatever the reason, a billboard in Manhattan is not going to change their minds. Why waste the energy and money on a losing battle? Same with the opposing billboard across the street. That one shows a picture of statues of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus and says, "You know it's real." Again, what's the point? It'd be nice if the sponsor's of these billboards donated the money, instead, to feed the poor. That might make a real difference.
I just wish that we'd all be tolerant of people's beliefs and non-beliefs. I was at a jewelry party several weeks ago when one of the other guests was going on and on about a candidate for city council who was opposing her guy.
"He's an Atheist," she said with mock shock and disgust. "How could he think he could win?"
Almost all the other guests were from my friend's church, so they were all shocked and horrified. I felt like the only cat in a room full of pitbulls at that point, and couldn't wait to put in my time and run. I'm not sure how belief in a god makes one a better person, and belief in the "Big Bang Theory" makes one bad. I wish some one would explain that to me. I've known quite a few Christians who lie, steal, cheat, etc. I've also known non-believers who follow the golden rule to the letter, because it makes logical sense, not because the Bible tells them so. A good person is a good person, god or no god. A bad person is a bad person, god or no god. I think it is time for both sides to be logical and charitable.
No comments:
Post a Comment